Saturday, September 09, 2006

QLD 2006: Predictions

Much to my disgust, I have been disenfranchised for the 2006 QLD State Election - ahhh the price of being on Operations! The cut off for postal votes was Tuesday - right about the time I was happily handing excess water bottles out to Iraqi kids in a nice little rural desert town, Busayyah (See my Iraqi Letters link for that side of my life).
I've had little time to analyse the campaigns for both sides, but here goes. Labor will be returned - it might drop a seat or two, but it will be returned comfortably. The protest vote against some of the worst Governance Queensland has ever seen will be almost completely cancelled out by a protest vote against one of the most ordinary Coalitions Queensland has ever seen. Bruce Flegg has sustained some deep wounds throughout the campaign - his inexperience has been used by media and Labor alike. I am understanding now my Michael Caltabiano was so ready to seemingly leave his leadership aspirations alone and support Bruce Flegg as the new Liberal leader - the timing was not at all right.
It is my opinion that the next Coalition government of QLD will have to be one of a Liberal majority. The Coalition will stay in opposition as long as the Nationals maintain the balance of power, simply because this will mean that the vast majority of metropolitan seats will be in Labor's hands.
I'll be keenly crunching the numbers and fall out after the Labor victory tomorrow....

No comments: