Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Unions... no wonder I hate them!

After a day of protests around Australia, I am reminded once again why I hate the union movement so much. I can understand collective bargaining, representing the workers when otherwise they maybe afraid to speak for themselves. What I don't understand, and hate with a vegence is how Unionists insist on dragging everyday life into their struggles - what idiot thinks shutting down the city of Melbourne for 3 - 4 hrs will endear people to your cause?
Just like strikes that shutdown public transport, impact services the average Australian is depending on, this demonstration just shows why the average Aussie never wants the Unions to return to the giants they once were. I don't care about your rights at work when you cause thousands of Australians to lose half their day so you can make a scene and get publicity!
I have always been employed in my working life - from age 15, and have never been 'the boss' - but it is my belief that a job is a privledge, not a right. I associate Unions with keeping inefficient and overpaid workers safe, forcing their attitudes and beliefs (through the ALP) upon far more Australians than just their members. Nothing reminds me more of why I hate Unions than the waterfront battles of the 90's, where Unions tried to save some of the most inefficient and overpaid workers in the world from having actually do their job well for a fair wage.
Once again I return to the point I made on Beazely's IR gamble - good luck keeping the anger for almost another 12 months. I will be amazed if the Unions and ALP can possibly run with IR as a major, press getting issue all the way to the election. Crowds might be gathering at protests now, but there is a long way to go - and a Nuclear debate - before Beazely gets any sight of the polling booth

No comments: